This Commission was established by Ordinance O-17-644 on June 19, 2017, as a combination of the previously existing Ethnic Advisory Commission and the Arts & Cultural Commission. CM-06-240-17
There are 11 members on this Commission. In addition, there 2 non-voting members - one is a member of the City Council and the other is a City staff liaison.
The Commissioners serve three year terms that expire on February 28.
Meeting Dates and Times
This Commission meets on the second Thursday of each month at 7 p.m.
City of Oak Park
14300 Oak Park Blvd.
Oak Park, MI 48237
The mission statement of the arts and cultural diversity commission shall be to recommend,
develop and implement city-wide programs and events which provide community access to the
performing and creative arts and which celebrate cultural diversity; to work with local, state and
federal agencies to take advantage of available resources, including funding. The commission
shall actively participate in developing, implementing, promoting and staffing appropriate
programs. The commission may partner with the Parks and Recreation Commission and Friends
of the Library on programs which provide community access to the performing and creative arts
and celebrate cultural diversity.
Actively Serving Members
The following individuals are active members of Oak Park Arts and Cultural Diversity Commission:
Sudha Chandra Sekhar
Abraham (Avi) Snider
City Council Representatives: Marian McClellan, Carolyn Burns, Solomon Radner, Ken Rich and Kiesha Speech
Staff Liaisons: Vicky Brooks, Director of Human Resources and Denise DeSantis, Director of Community Engagement
Dancing in the Park
City Hall Art Gallery Artist ReceptionsIf you are an artist that would like to be featured in the City Hall Art Gallery displays, please download the Oak Park City Hall Art Gallery Application. The Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission reviews applications and selects artist on a quarterly basis. For more information, contact Denise DeSantis at (248) 691-7589.
You Create: Community Art Program for all ages in Coordination with the Oak Park LibraryThe Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission is partnering with the Friends of the Oak Park Library and the Oak Park Library staff to help plan and fund are appreciation programs for all ages. The Commission held a color tile program at last year's Summerfest where children could create a unique decorated tile using Sharpees and alcohol. Some of the tiles are showcased in the Oak Park Library. The Commission is working with the Library to create a display board with everyone's creations. Some of the events planned for 2017, include:
- Make-and-Take Tiles, Thursday, January 19, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Heads on a Stick, Thursday, February 16, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Pet Rocks, Thursday, March 16, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Beats - Session No. 1, Thursday, April 20, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Beats - Session No. 2, Thursday, May 18, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Beats - Session No. 3, Thursday, June 15, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library.
- Sunflowers, Thursday, July 20, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Oak Park Library
Artist Workshops and Lectures
- The Commission invites artists, artisans, and those that appreciate the art to come and share your expertise, talents and techniques. We hold informational presentations during regularly scheduled Oak Park Arts and Cultural monthly meetings, and occasionally plan public events. If you would like to learn more, contact Denise DeSantis at (248) 691-7589.
- The Commission celebrates World Dance Day every year with an evening filled with fun and exciting dance performances that celebrate various world wide dance forms.
Rules of Procedure
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda January 27, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda February 24, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda Cancellation Notice February 24, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda March 23, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda April 27, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Agenda May 25, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes December 15, 2015
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes January 27, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes February 24, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes March 23, 2016
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes April 27, 2015 - Pending City Council Approval
Oak Park Arts and Cultural Commission Meeting Minutes May 25, 2016 - Pending Commission Approval