Public Service Worker I
Description : JOB TITLE: Public Service Worker I
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD JOB DESCRIPTION
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
Performs a variety of tasks such as, but not limited to, operation of heavy equipment including loaders, trucks and backhoes. Manual labor in functions of water & sewer, parks & forestry, street maintenance and repair. Employees in this position may be assigned to any division of the Department of Public Works. Employees in this position are subject to the Federal Drug and Alcohol testing act requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Operation of a variety of power tools, including mowers, blowers, chainsaws, chippers, trimmers, etc.
Operation of large commercial equipment, including dump trucks, graders, backhoes and loaders
Perform ice and snow control activities, including shoveling and salting
Perform tree pruning and tree removal
Repair, installation and maintenance of underground sewers, lift stations and their appurtenances
Lawn and landscape maintenance including cutting and edging grass, planting, watering and care for trees shrubs and flowers
Performs repair and maintenance of pump stations, water meters, hydrants, and curb stop boxes
Repair and maintain streets and sidewalks including concrete and asphalt removal and replacement, street signs and markings
- Maintains accurate work records, time sheets and other forms of data
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTION
Serve as a Public Service Worker II, providing leadership and direction to those in Public Service Worker I position
Obtaining Michigan license for pesticide application
May be required to train and become proficient in small engine and power tool repair and maintenance
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid, unrestricted Michigan driver's license with a CDL endorsement with tanker and air brake endorsements
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 90 pound loads
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures
- Ability to tolerate exposure to dust, dirt, grease, fuel, chemicals and lubricants
- Ability to stoop, bend, climb trees, go into underground vaults and pits with restricted movement.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time
- Ability to understand and follow both written and oral instructions
- Knowledge of use of equipment and tools used in Public Works practices
- Must live and maintain residency no more than 25 minutes from the City of Oak Park
The City of Oak Park Human Resources Department only accepts electronic submissions. Please download and complete an application at www.oakparkmi.gov. Completed City Employment Application forms, resumes and other pertinent data must be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled