Description : CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD DESCRIPTION
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
Performs a variety of library clerical work, including but not limited to tasks related to the circulation of library materials, maintenance of library patron accounts and operation of a complex library computer system.
- Acknowledges patrons upon entering and existing the building; directs patrons to appropriate location, department or librarian to answer their question(s).
- Issues new library cards and maintains existing accounts utilizing the automated library system.
- Removes items from drop boxes and evaluates them for damage, check-in, shelving, or transit to owning library.
- Registers patrons into automated library system, checks materials out, renews materials, checks items in, and collects overdue fines and other fees; resolves customer account issues.
- Receives incoming telephone calls to the library, providing direct patron assistance and routing calls to the appropriate department.
- Assists patrons with basic computer questions, printing, faxing and copying tasks.
- Prepares all library materials regardless of form for the shelves as necessary while maintaining their order according to the alphabet or Dewey Decimal system.
- Processes patron hold requests via automated library system.
- Provides database maintenance in the automated library system including entry of all acquisitions and deletion of discarded items.
- Performs opening and closing procedures
- Maintain confidentiality of Library Records.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Graduate of an accredited high school.
- Personal computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, etc.
- Knowledge of general office practices.
- Knowledge of library practices.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with other employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively with library patrons and staff.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
NOT REQUIRED BUT DESIRABLE SKILLS
- Two years of college credits.
- Library technology skills in CARL (circulation software)
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to bend and lift books and other materials, push/pull carts and stand or sit for extended periods of time.
- Sunday and evening hours are required along with the ability to work a flexible schedule.
The City of Oak Park Human Resources Department only accepts electronic submissions. Please download and complete an application at www.oakparkmi.gov. Completed City of Oak Park Employment Application Forms, resumes and other pertinent data should be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled