How to Register to Vote
You must be registered 30 days prior to an election in order to be eligible to vote in that election.
In order to register to vote you must be:
- A citizen of the United States.
- A resident of the State of Michigan and at least a 30-day resident of the City by Election Day.
- 18 years of age or older by Election Day.
You may register to vote at any of the following locations by completeing the Voter Registration Application:
- The City Clerk's Office - 14000 Oak Park Blvd, Oak Park, MI 48237
- Any Secretary of State branch office - find location
- Oakland County Clerk's Office - 1200 N Telegraph Rd, Pontiac, MI 48341
- Any armed forces recruitment office.
- Family Independence Agency, the Department of Community Health, Michigan Jobs Commission, and some office of the Commission for the Blind
When registering to vote in-person, you are required to present Photo ID.
NOTE: by law, the address on your driver’s license record must match the address on your voter registration record. If you make a change to either record it will automatically change the other.
Qualified electors may also register by mail, by completing the Voter Registration Application and forwarding it to the election official as directed on the application. NOTE: A person who registers to vote by mail is required to vote in person, unless they have previously voted in person in the State of Michigan, or has a disability.