Boards and Commissions
Boards and Commissions offer Oak Park residents a voice in local government and an opportunity to influence decisions that shape quality of life in the community.
Boards and commissions are comprised of Council-appointed residents who volunteer their time and expertise for the benefit of the community by making informed recommendations to City Council on vital public policy matters.
Board members and commissioners must be committed to the time and effort required to serve, which minimally includes regular and special board or commission meetings, relative special events, and City Council meetings when appropriate. Board members or commissioners absent from two or more scheduled meetings risk replacement by City Council.
The following boards and commissions have current vacancies:
- Arts & Cultural Diversity Commission: 2 vacancies, 3-year terms
- Corridor Improvement Authority: 1 vacancy for a business owner or manager within the CIA district, 4-year term
- Library Board: 1 vacancy, 2-year term
- Traffic Safety Board: 1 vacancy, 3-year term
- Zoning Board of Appeals: 1 vacancy, 3-year term
If you are interested in helping shape the future of Oak Park:
- Read the descriptions and meeting minutes of our various boards and commissions by clicking on the links below;
- Attend a meeting of the board(s) or commission(s) which interest you. All meetings are open to the public. Meeting days and times are included in the links, and are listed on the Upcoming Events calendar to the right;
- Complete the Boards and Commissions Application and submit it to the City Clerk's Office.
Applicants are interviewed and appointed by the Mayor and City Council in February and August. All information submitted in the application is public information and subject to disclosure in response to a public records request made pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.
The following is a list of Boards and Commissions that are actively serving the City of Oak Park. For more information about a particular Board or Commission or to view their agenda, minutes and communications, click on the appropriate link.
Arts and Cultural Diversity Commission
Beautification Advisory Commission
Board of Review
Building Board of Appeals
Corridor Improvement Authority Board
Economic Development Corporation
Employees Retirement System
Library Board of Directors
Local Officers Compensation Commission
Parks and Recreation Commission
Public Safety Retirement System
Recycling and Environmental Conservation Commission
Traffic Safety Board
Water Board of Hearing
Zoning Board of Appeals
Apply for a Board or Commission Seat
To formally request an appointment on the board or commission of choice, please download and complete a Request for Appointment to Boards and Commissions Application (PDF). Submit the request to the City Clerk's Office at:
City Clerk's Office
c/o Boards and Commission Application
City of Oak Park
14000 Oak Park Blvd.
Oak Park, MI 48237
For more information on Boards and Commissions, contact the City Clerk's Office at (248) 691- 7544.