Garage Sales are Regulated in the City of Oak Park
The City of Oak Park regulates garage sales through the City Code and the City Zoning Ordinance. A homeowner or occupant in the City of Oak Park who wishes to hold a garage sale must receive a permit through the City Clerk's Office. The City Clerk's office is located at 14000 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, Mich. at City Hall.
The following information is a summary of the regulatory provisions that apply to garage sales.
Free Garage Sale Weekends
City Council has authorized "Free Garage Sale Weekends" in the City of Oak Park once a month during the months of March through October. Permits and permit fees are waived during Free Garage Sale Weekends. All other Rules of Operation and Sign Regulations still apply during free garage sale weekends.
Free Garage Sale Weekends in 2022
March - Thursday, March 24 to Sunday, March 27
April - Thursday, April 21 to Sunday, April 24
May - Thursday, May 19 to Sunday, May 22
June - Thursday, June 23 to Sunday, June 26
July - Thursday, July 28 to Sunday, July 31
August - Thursday, August 25 to Sunday, August 28
September - Thursday, September 22 to Sunday, September 25
October - Thursday, October 13 to Sunday, October 16
Garage Sale Listings
Addresses from residents who have pulled a permit:
14591 Balfour Oct. 20th - Oct. 23rd 2022
For more information on Garage Sales and Free Garage Sale Weekends, contact the City Clerk's office at (248) 691-7544.
Garage Sale Defined
The sale of used, slightly used, or purchased personal property - as opposed to commercial property - is commonly called a "garage sale." For purposes of the City issuance of garage sale permits, the term garage sale is synonymous with such terms as attic sales, basement sale, estate sale, home sale, moving sale, residential sale, rummage sale and yard sale. It doesn't, however, apply to a resident who advertises for sale a single piece of furniture, or an appliance of value, that is being replaced or is deemed no longer needed.
Residential property is permitted to be sold at garage sales. This includes, but is not limited to, books, clothing, garden implements, household appliances, recreation items, tools, and toys,
Rules of Operation
To hold a garage sale in the City of Oak Park, the interested party must be either a homeowner or occupant of the household. The items for sale should be property of the homeowner or occupant, and not brought in for sale by any other source. No person, firm, corporation, or organization other than the homeowner or occupant shall conduct a garage sale, and no merchandise of any nature shall be brought in from any other source to supplement such sale.
Garage sales are held between the hours of 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. and are limited to five consecutive days of operation and no more than two garage sales per year.
The fee for a garage sale permit is set by City Council. Currently, there is a fee of $10.00 per garage sale permit.
When displaying merchandise for sale, keep in mind that all merchandise must be on personal property and at least three feet away from the sidewalk. Merchandise can not be displayed in the street, on the sidewalk, or between the street and sidewalk.
To advertise the garage sale, the homeowner is limited to two signs to be displayed on the property where the garage sale is held, and a third sign that can be erected at the end of the street, but only with property owner's approval. A garage sale sign cannot be posted on another person's property without their permission. Signs cannot be placed in the public right-of-way, posted on any utility pole, affixed to trees, attached to street signs or placed on public property in the City of Oak Park. A garage sale sign cannot exceed six square feet in total size, or four feet in height.
How to Obtain a Garage Sale Permit
To apply for a garage sale permit, a homeowner or occupant should inquire at:
City Clerk's Office
City of Oak Park
14000 Oak Park Blvd.
Oak Park, MI 48237
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, closed.
To apply for a permit, download Garage Sale Permit Application. When presenting the completed form to the City Clerk's office, you will need a copy of your state identification or driver's license to verify residency. A $10 fee will be collected at the time of application.
Code of Ordinances
Following are references in the City's Code of Ordinances and the City's Zoning Ordinance that relate to garage sales.
Chapter 22. Article IX Garage sale regulations (Section 22-375)
In zoning districts where permitted, a homeowner or occupant may conduct a garage sale in accordance with the following subsections:
(1) Garage sale, for purposes of this article, shall include such terms as "home sale," "basement sale," "attic sale" or other type of so-called residential sale of used tangible personal property, such as, but not limited to, clothing, household effects, tools, garden implements, toys, recreation equipment or other used or secondhand items customarily found in and about the home and advertised in a manner whereby the public adage is, or can be, aware of such a sale.
(2) A homeowner or occupant shall first obtain a permit from the City Clerk before conducting any garage sale. The fee for such permit shall be established by resolution of the City Council.
(3) Each garage sale shall be limited to five consecutive days of operation and no more than two such sales may be conducted by any household or member thereof per calendar year. In the event of inclement weather, the resident may cancel the sale and reschedule at a later date by contacting the City Clerk's office. No sale shall be conducted before 9:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. each day.
(4) No person, firm, corporation or other organization other than the homeowner or occupant shall conduct a garage sale and no merchandise of any nature shall be brought in from any other source to supplement such sale.
(5) No outside display of merchandise to be sold will be permitted on any street, sidewalk or any area between the street and sidewalk, and any such display of merchandise to be sold shall be located at least three feet back from the sidewalk.
(6) This article shall not apply to the householder who, during the normal course of housekeeping, advertises or otherwise offers for sale individual pieces of furniture or an appliance of value being replaced or no longer needed.
(Ord. No. 0-96-359, § 1, 12-2-96; Ord. No. 0-01-443, § 1,5-21-01)
SECTION 5.12 (h) of Appendix A, Zoning, of the Municipal Code of the City of Oak Park
reads as follows:
- GARAGE SALE, for the purpose of this ordinance includes such terms as "ESTATE SALE", "MOVING SALE", "YARD SALE", or other type of so called RESIDENTIAL SALES. NO OUTSIDE DISPLAY OF MERCHANDISE PERMITTED IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING LINE.
- Homeowners or Occupants shall first obtain a permit from the City Clerk before conducting any garage sale.
- No more than TWO (2) signs for SIX (6) sq. ft. shall be placed within the property lines to be used to advertise a garage sale. NO OTHER SIGNS PERTAINING TO A GARAGE SALE ARE PERMITTED ON TREES, TELEPHONE POLES, STREET SIGNS, STREET CORNERS, PUBLIC OR PRIVATE PROPERTY.
- Each garage sale shall be limited to FIVE (5) consecutive days of operation and no more than TWO (2) such sales per calendar year per property address. Sales are to be conducted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. each day. No person, firm, corporation, or organization other than the homeowner or occupant shall conduct a garage sale, and no merchandise of any nature shall be brought in from any other source to supplement such sale.